There are three words that adequately describe our hand-painted Jean Pouyat Limoges antique porcelain chocolate pot: 'beautiful', 'beautiful', and 'beautiful'. But then again, there is also 'lovely.' Delicate sweet pea blossoms adorn this exquisite antique French porcelain chocolate pot with its amazing tree branch handle and the green Jean Pouyat porcelain backstamp P75a (see our photograph), which was used between 1891 and 1922. This gorgeous antique Jean Pouyat chocolate pot is completely hand-painted with a delicate and ethereal hand - please examine our photographs and see the sheer artistry of the shadow leaves and shadow ribbons in the background. C'est magnifique!
This Jean Pouyat Limoges chocolate pot is in excellent antique condition, with no no chips, cracks, rough spots, crazing or staining. Quite tall, our antique French porcelain chocolate pot stands 11-6/8" from the base to the top of the finial, and 4" in diameter at the base. This antique French porcelain chocolate pot is unsigned, and so we are unable to name the artist responsible for this sublime confection.
With its stunning tree handle, and the beautifully hand painted sweet peas, our Jean Pouyat Limoges antique porcelain chocolate pot would be an excellent acquisition for a French porcelain or a Jean Pouyat collector, and would also be the perfect purchase for the person who simply loves beautiful things and can appreciate the manual effort, sheer time and painstaking artistry that was required to create an object of such loveliness.
BRIEF HISTORY: The Pouyat family had a long history in pottery and porcelain. Pierre Pouyat established a faience manufacturing company at Saint-Yrieix around 1760. His son, Francois Pouyat (1752 - 1838) also had an interest in the pottery business as he owned clay deposits and clay works in the Haute-Vienne region. From 1795 to 1800, Francois became a partner with Laurentius Russinger in Manufacture de la Courtille, a hard paste manufaturing business at the Locre factory in Paris. In 1800, Francois emerged as the sole owner of La Courtille, and his sons, Leonard and Jean-Baptiste joined him in operating the factory. In 1816, the two Pouyat brothers formed a partnership with the owner of a factory in Fours to produce porcelain for decoration in Paris. They bought the factory in 1820, and Leonard Pouyat directed operations until his death 1845. The Fours factory continued in production until 1865.
The Locre factory (in Paris) was sold in 1823, but Jean-Baptiste Pouyat remained in Paris for a time as head of sales. However, Pére Francois Pouyat was not yet finished in the porcelain business: he opened a small factory in Limoges in 1832, and then in 1835 he bought a clayworks and porcelain workshop established in Saint-Leonard, near Limoges. Jean-Baptiste joined his father at this operation and in 1840 succeeded him as head of operations. I 1844, Jean-Baptiste enlarged the Limoges factory, which was employing approximately 127 workers. This factory made porcelain of exceptional whiteness and even texture; the pieces decorated at the factory were renowned for their artistry and elegance. P. Comolera, a modeller, provided designs for Pouyat for over 20 years. Jean Baptiste Pouyat was succeeded by his sons Emile (1806-92), Louis (b 1809) and Leonard-Eugene (1817-76). Emil trained at the Locre factory (Paris) and was head of the Limoges factory from 1849 to 1883. William Guerin purchased the Pouyat Limoges factory in 1911.