UNIQUE VINTAGE AND ANTIQUE COLLECTIBLE TREASURES BROUGHT TO YOU BY PASSIONATE COLLECTORS

Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks All Over Gold Hammered Finish

Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks All Over Gold Hammered Finish
Item# MaxRoeslerCandlesticks
$120.00
Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 business days

Product Description And Additional Pictures

We have a striking pair of Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks, which measure 7-3/4" in height and are painted and finished to look like hammered gold. The base of the Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks With All Over Gold Hammered Finish measures 4-1/8" in diameter and the spill barrier at the top is 2-5/8" in diameter. The backstamp is the blue Roesler mark of a rose in a shield, with the letters 'R-M-R' (the Rs face each other) atop the shield for 'Roesler, Max, Rodach.' These Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks With All Over Gold Hammered Finish are in very good condition -- there is little - if any - gold loss, and there are no perceptible defects other than a tiny chip on the inside base of one candlestick. (As you can see from our photographs, the tiny chip is only visible if you lay your head on the same surface as the vintage porcelain candlestick and look for it! We love to use these Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks With Al Over Gold Hammered Finish on our own table -- they add a note of elegance to the most simple of meals. Although these Max Roesler Factory Germany Vintage Porcelain Candlesticks With All Over Gold Hammered Finish are highly collectible from the perspective of age and beauty, we cannot help but think that the story of Max Roesler enriches our appreciation of those pieces that still remain from his factory.

Max Roesler was the son of actors from the city of Dresden. Initially he did not pursue a career in the arts, but instead studied chemistry in Dresden and Munich, obtaining his degree in 1862. He worked as a chemist and technical supervisor for a number of years until, looking for a challenge, he moved on to become technical manager of a prominent porcelain factory. He held several similar positions, eventually becoming the directory of a porcelain factory. His ideas greatly influenced the business: he took a strong interest in the social concerns of workers and instituted a number of changes that benefited the work force. For instance, Roesler founded a factory savings bank in 1877 which helped the workers to purchase their own housing. He also created a workers music association, a collegium for disciplinary matters, and a company newspaper.

In 1893 Roesler struck out on his own and moved his family moved to Rodach near Coburg, where is registered his new company on the 24th of July, 1894. According to the trade register entry Roesler's company was set up for 'fabrication, decoration and sales of porcelain, stoneware and other fine earthenware.' Roesler took the symbol of a hedge rose - part of the family crest - as the company mark. By 1900 Roesler's business owned and produced about 1,000 different registered designs; the company received widespread praise for the individuality and originality of the products and the artistic company profile. At its peak, the company traded, not only on the German market, but also with Russia, Austria-Hungaria, France, Denmark, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden, England, Australia, Central- and South America and the United States. Part of Roesler's success was based on the fact that many of his patterns and designs came from the artist Franz Josef Mayer.

Production was stopped in August 1914 with the outbreak of the First World War, and recovery did not occur very quickly, in part because Roesler's work force had been decimated. In July of 1919, Roesler sold all his shares In his company to a banking house and retired from the board of directors, although the business continued to bear his name. Roesler died at the age of 82 on June 2nd 1922. Following the collapse of the world economy in 1928, the business was closed and restructured, but never fully recovered from the blow dealt by the 1928 economic collapse. The Rodach factory was put up for sale in 1938, and the new owners directed the plant's commercial efforts more towards the production of porcelain insulators. In 1943, another merger resulted in a complete name change and the name Max Roesler was erased from the trade register. Today, the town of Rodach has a street named after Max Roesler to commemorate everything that he did to bring financial success to the town, and improved working conditions for his employees.