UNIQUE VINTAGE AND ANTIQUE COLLECTIBLE TREASURES BROUGHT TO YOU BY PASSIONATE COLLECTORS

O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks

O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks
Item# OscarEdGutherzCandlesticks
$35.00
Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 business days

Product Description And Additional Pictures

This pair of delicate and lovely eggshell thin O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks are hand painted with a design of violets and green leaves in a matte finish on stem and base. The O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks' drip pans are painted gold, and there is a thin gold band around the base of each candlestick. These O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks are small, only 4-1/4" in height, and we believe that at one time they were part of a dresser set. While beautiful, we must note that although the hand painted design is in excellent shape, the gold shows some signs of wear in spots, with no large areas of loss or gouges in the gold. Except for the wear to the gold, these O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks are in very good condition, with no chips, nicks, cracks or other flaws that would detract from the beauty of these lovely items. The O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks' drip pans are 1-7/8" in diameter, and the bases are 3-3/4" in diameter.

This pair of O & EG Oscar And Edgar Gutherz Altrolau Bohemia Royal Austria Antique Porcelain Candlesticks are hallmarked O.& E.G. Royal Austria, which is printed in green with the word 'Royal' inside the wreath, the initials 'O.& E.G.' above the wreath and 'Austria' below. This hallmark was used by Oscar and Edgar Gutherz of Altrolau, Bohemia (now Stara Role, Czech Republic) from 1899 to 1918. Oscar Gutherz had originally started a porcelain decorating business with Maximilian Marx in Altrolau in 1884, using financial backing from the American importer Lazarus Straus & Sons (see our lovely Marx and Gutherz, Carlsbad, items in the 'Porcelain' section of oour website). The company subsequently expanded into porcelain production: in 1898, Oscar's brother, Edgar Gutherz, bought out Marx and joined Oscar in the business, which became known as the Oscar & Edgar Gutherz (O. & E.G.) Royal Austria Factory. In 1918 the Royal Austria Factory ceased to be; instead it became part of OEPIAG, the Austrian Porcelain Industry.