We have an amazing antique porcelain piece from the Amphora Porcelain Works, which existed from 1892-1945 in the Turn-Teplitz area of Bohemia, originally part of Austro-Hungary, now part of the Czech Republic. Generally recognized as the first and arguably the best of the Amphora manufacturers, the firm consisted of partners Hans and Carl Reissner, Edward Stellmacher, and Rudolf Kessel, who used the 'RStK' mark seen in our photographs. Our antique porcelain amphora vase is 7-5/8" in height, with a 2-5/8" diameter base. It boasts the traditional amphora body, and has been hand painted in an arresting and unusual manner, typical of the artistry of this firm.
This spectacular Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora starts with deep turqoise bisque sponging at the base, which rises to a higher-gloss area of turqoise, and then explodes into a gorgeous high-gloss yellow. The yellow punctuates the deep cobalt falling from the neck and spilling into a free form flow over the body of the amphora. The lower edges of the free form cobalt flow are edged in gilt enamelling. The neck, handles and base rim are also gilded. The cobalt areas of this Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora are futher ornamented by gilt enamelled flowers and god splatter. The body of the Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora is hand painted in a lovely, delicate floral design of white flowers and pink buds, with enameling added to create a multi-dimensional effect.
We typically look for pieces in perfect condition, and in our opinion, given the scarcity of authentic Turn Teplitz Amphora, this is in very good condition. As our photographs show, there is wear to the gold on the handles -- someone loved this Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora very much, and used it often! Aside from the gilt wear, a couple of glaze pops, and a tiny smudge of gilding on the turquoise body, this Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora is perfect. There are no cracks, chips, repairs or other defects to detract from its beauty. It has been more than 60 years since Amphora Porcelain Works has designed and manufactured, and more than 100 years since the glory days of the firm! These antique porcelain amphora are dwindling commodities, and in our opinion, a bit of gold wear does not detract from the otherwise excellent condition of this Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora.
BRIEF HISTORY: Bohemia in the early 20th century saw the rise of a major art pottery movement - often referred to as 'Amphora Pottery' - that reflected the design elements of the Art Nouveau (Jugensdtil) and Secession periods. Traditionally, Amphora referred to large Greek storage vessels with an oval body, usually tapering toward the base, and with two handles extending from just below the lip to the shoulder. However, the area of central Europe now part of Austria and Czechoslovakia produced a very fine art pottery also known as Amphora from the late 19th century until the early 20th century. Amphora employed very innovative shapes, including figurals, and reflected a level of detail very seldom seen in porcelain manufacturing. Amphora works also incorporated animals into their designs including serpents, parrots, and dragons. Amphora designs generally began with a drawing or watercolor which captured the desired finish look of the piece; once the design was approved it was given a style number which was subsequently impressed or inscribed on the bottom of Amphora pieces. Many Amphora designs were produced in a variety of sizes, with the larger and more substantial being more complex to make and commanding higher prices. As such, the larger size pieces are less common since they were less affordable during their original production.
We have an amazing piece from the Amphora Porcelain Works, which existed from 1892-1945 in the Teplitz-Turn area of Bohemia, originally part of Austro-Hungary, now part of the Czech Republic. This area of central Europe was close to Dresden, Germany and benefited from the long tradition of ceramics manufacturing among the peoples of eastern Germany. Generally recognized as the first and arguably the best of the Amphora manufacturers, the firm consisted partners Hans and Carl Reissner, Edward Stellmacher, and Rudolf Kessel. In 1896, Amphora were made court supplier to the Imperial court in Vienna, and were permitted to use both the name ‘Imperial Amphora’, and the Austo-Hungarian eagle for their trademark. The "Amphora" products produced by Riessner, Stellmacher and Kessel were known for their innovative designs and shapes and the high level of detail, and were considered by many to exemplify the Art Nouveau style. Stellmacher & Kessel (R. St. K.) displayed their work in America for the first time at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair where they were awarded a "Best In Show" prize and first attracted the attention of the American buying public. They again took top honors at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
Stellmacher left in 1905, when the firm changed its name to Riessner & Kessel. Based on the "RStK" backstamp (see our photographs), we know that this antique porcelain amphora vessel was made sometime between 1892 and 1905. As the partners changed, the company became known by different names, but the pieces were always called Amphora porcelain. The company was nationalised by the Czech government in 1945.
Please note, any white spots that you see in the photographs are from the lighting, and are not in the glaze of this stunning Antique Porcelain Turn Teplitz Amphora.