We are pleased to offer this antique French porcelain Jean Pouyat Limoges chocolate set which includes a beautiful pot, lid, and three cups and saucers (we know you can only see two cups and saucers, but there really are three, all in perfect condition). This antique French porcelain chocolate pot set is in the "Athena" pattern, which features a pure white background with multiple, broad gold bands offset by a dark (almost black), marbled green Greek key pattern. The antique French porcelain chocolate pot and cups in this elegant Jean Pouyat Limoges Athena pattern have nobbed double handles in a lovely organic shape that provides a contrast to the starkly geometric nature of the Greek key pattern. All pieces in this antique French porcelain set bear the Jean Pouyat Limoges manufactuer's backstamp used betweeen 1890 and 1932, as well as the backstamp of the Jean Pouyat decorating studio.
This antique French Jean Pouyat Limoges chocolate pot set is in clean, pristine, excellent, rarely-if-ever-used condition and has no marks, cracks, chips, crackling or wear to the gilding. The antique porcelain saucers are just under 5" in diameter, and the antique porcelain cups are 3" tall with a 2.5" diameter opening at the top. The antique porcelain chocolate pot stands approximately 9-3/8" from the base to the top of its finial, and rests upon a 3" diameter base. We are so very sorry that our photographs don't include all three of the cups and saucers included in this set, but one of the cup and saucer sets hid behind a stack of plates while the others were being photographed!
BRIEF HISTORY: The Pouyat family entered the porcelain manufacturing business around 1760 when Pierre Pouyat established a faience manufacturing company at Saint-Yrieix. His son, Francois Pouyat (1752 - 1838), - who owned clay deposits and clay works in the Haute-Vienne region - became a partner with Laurentius Russinger in Manufacture de la Courtille, a hard paste manufaturing business at the Locre factory in Paris from 1795 to 1800. In 1800, Francois emerged as the sole owner of La Courtille, and his sons, Leonard and Jean-Baptiste joined him in operating the factory. In 1816, the two Pouyat brothers formed a partnership with the owner of a factory in Fours to produce porcelain for decoration in Paris. They bought the factory in 1820, and Leonard Pouyat directed operations until his death 1845. The Fours factory continued in production until 1865.
The Locre factory (in Paris) was sold in 1823, but Jean-Baptiste Pouyat remained in Paris for a time as head of sales. However, Pére Francois Pouyat was not yet finished in the porcelain business. He opened a small factory in Limoges in 1832, and then in 1835 he bought a clay works and porcelain workshop established in Saint-Leonard, near Limoges. Jean-Baptiste joined his father at this operation and in 1840 succeeded him as head of operations. Jean-Baptiste enlarged the Limoges factory around 1844, employing 127 workers. This factory made porcelain of exceptional whiteness and even texture. The pieces decorated at the factory were renowned for their artistry and elegance. P. Comolera, a modeller, provided designs for Pouyat for over 20 years. Jean Baptiste Pouyat was succeeded by his sons Emile (1806-92), Louis (b 1809) and Leonard-Eugene (1817-76). Emile trained at the Locre factory (Paris) and was head of the Limoges factory from 1849 to 1883. W. Guerin bought the Pouyat Limoges factory in 1911.