We are so pleased to offer this elegant and large vintage porcelain four-light Hutschenreuther cherub candleholder in flawless condition! Measuring 15-3/4" in length. 6-1/4" height, and resting on a 14" by 4-1/2" base, this vintage porcelain sculpture manufactured in the 1930's in the factories of Lorenz Hutschenreuther pushes porcelain art to a new level. This four-light vintage porcelain candleholder is a rare piece, one that is not easily found. If you look, you will see that the prominent replacement websites acknowledge the existence of this vintage porcelain piece, but do not have even one for sale.
With two cherub musicians perched in the center, and two candle cups on either side, this vintage porcelain candelabra will not disappoint! The tulip-shaped candle cups rest upon graceful, reticulated drip pans that sit atop curved stems that rising out of a base of figural shells and waves. It reminds us of Botticelli's Venus rising from the foam! (Admittedly, that was an exaggeration, but only a slight one!) In soft ivory with restrained sage edging on the base, our cherubs have the softest kiss of flesh tones on toes, hands, knees and cheeks, and tousled honey toned curls. Their facial expressions are serene, lovely and captivating. Please examine our photographs, for in this case a picture is truly worth a thousand words! A lovely vintage porcelain candelabra from the 1930's in a restrained baroque style -- is it destined for your mantel or sideboard?
BRIEF HISTORY: Hutschenreuther is the name of the family that established the production of porcelain in Northern Bavaria, starting in 1814, when the original Hutschenreuther porcelain company opened. The founder, Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther, opened the first privately owned porcelain factory in the Bavarian town of Hohenburg. Intent upon producing an extremely high quality product, Carolus solicited artisans from across the European continent. In 1857, Carolus’ son, Lorenz Hutschenreuther, opened another porcelain producing facility in the town of Selb, Bavaria. Despite the familial relationship, the Selb factory was not in partnership with the Hohenburg factory, and the two companies remained fully independent and in open competition with each other for more than a century. The Selb factory eventually became the more notable of the two factories, due to a combination of high quality, artistry and savvy business management. Hutschenreuther of Selb became the first German firm to be able to compete with such companies as Haviland and Wedgwood.
In 1917, Hutschenreuther of Selb began producing figurines by purchasing the art division of Paul Muller. The Selb factory proceeded to recruit sculptors and skilled laborers to work on designs for porcelain sculptures and dinnerware from the Selb Technical School of Porcelain. By 1926, the art division of the company had won wide acclaim and its porcelain figurines were highly sought after. Hutschenreuther of Selb continued to grow by buying the assets of competing factories throughout Germany. In 1909, Hutschenreuther purchased Altrohlau. Later the company acquired Arzburg and Tirschenreuth. In 1969, the assets of the Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther company were purchased by Hutschenreuther of Selb. After more than a century of competition, the two companies became one. The newly united company continued producing porcelain sculptures and fine bone china.